History of Arundel Lodge
At a regular communication of Arundel Lodge, held October 19, 1869, it was voted that Bros. Seth E. Bryant and H. H. Chadbourne be a committee to prepare a history of the lodge. The following are excerpts taken from their writings.
In the early part of the year 1854, there resided in the village of Kennebunkport, York County, Maine some twenty or more master masons, the most of whom first saw Masonic light within the walls of that old land-mark of masonry, York Lodge, No. 22, Kennebunk, and as the distance of the location of that lodge was somewhat of a barrier to their meeting with their brothers of the craft so often as they wished, they resolved to make an effort for a charter for a lodge to be located in their own village, where they justly thought might be a good field for Masonic work.
As in all other new enterprises, some opposition was manifested, but not enough to prevent the movers in the matter (among whom may be mentioned without disparagement to others, Hon. Benj. F. Mason and Capt. George G. Wormwood), from pressing onward in their work. As a preliminary movement they petitioned under date of April 17, 1854, York Lodge, asking the consent and approbation of their parent lodge to their application to the Grand Lodge for a Charter, Warrant or Dispensation, as might be thought best. This was cheerfully given and the application at once made. The Grand Lodge promptly acceded to the request, and gave the brothers applying therefor a charter dated June 26, 1854, with all the rights and privileges granted to subordinate lodges of masons.
The name selected for the new lodge was Arundel, being that of the name of the town of Kennebunkport up to the year 1820, and so called in honor of Lord Arundel, an English nobleman; and is, in the view of many, a better and more convenient name for a town than that afterward selected and by which it is now known.
The charter contains the names of Ivory Goodwin, John F. Mason, Thomas H. Bell, John H. Bartlett III, Sylvester Brown, Robert T. Nowell, Oliver Smith, Benjamin F. Mason, Thomas Maling, Robert Towne, Charles Goodwin, George W. Nowell, George G. Wormwood, Benjamin Hoff, Samuel Pope, George Smith and D.P. Jefferds. The charter bears the signatures of Timothy Chase, Grand Master, Ezra B. French, Senior Grand Warden, Thomas B. Johnson, Junior Grand Warden, and Charles B. Smith, Grand Secretary.
The first meeting of the lodge was held October 24, 1854. After reading the Charter, and some other preliminary business, the following were chosen officers of the Lodge: Charles Goodwin - W M; D. P. Jefferds - S W; Samual Pope - J W; B. F. Mason - Treasurer; Ivory Goodwin - Secretary; Woodbury Goodwin - S D; James H. Tripp - J D; John H. Bartlett III - SS; William Brooks - J S; Thomas Maling - Tyler.
The annual meeting for the choice of officers, was fixed upon Tuesday on or before the 22d day of February. The monthly meetings Tuesday on or before the full of the moon.
The first work done by the lodge was the passing and raising of George A. Webb, who had received his first degree in York Lodge.
Arundel Lodge had up to 1863 occupied the hall over S. H. Gould's store, but great inconvenience had been experienced on account of insufficient ventilation; and not being able to induce the proprietor to make the necessary changes, it became expedient to procure a new hall. Accordingly arrangements were made with Capt. Stephen Ward to fit up a hall over the Post Office for the use of the Lodge. A very neat and convenient place was the result, and the same as now occupied by us as our Masonic home. This hall was dedicated to the use of the craft upon the same evening as the installation (March 4), by brothers from Dunlap Lodge, Biddeford and York Lodge acting as a Grand Lodge. On August 20, 1878, the Lodge moved to a new Hall in Brown's Block (where the Colonial Pharmacy is presently located) and was dedicated by Grand Lodge, Edward P. Burnham, Grand Master.